>> Stay informed about: How to remove a 98 Suburban Brake light switch retaining c..
> Hello all,
> I am trying to remove the brake light switch above the steering column
> of a '98 Suburban and cannot figure out how to get the retaining clip
> Any idea?
For information on stoplamp circuit diagnosis, refer to Lighting Systems
in Body and Chassis; and Electrical Diagnosis.
Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must
be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF,
unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment
could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal,
also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these
precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disable the SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
3. Remove the pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin. Use snap
4. Unsnap the stoplamp switch from the pushrod.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch.
1. Connect the electrical connector to the stoplamp switch.
2. Snap the stoplamp switch onto the pushrod.
3. Install the pushrod retainer on the brake pedal pin. Use an 11 mm
(7/16 in) socket in order to push a new clip onto the pin.
4. Connect the negative battery cable.
5. Enable the SIR. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.