Welcome to AutoForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch

 
   car problems (Home) -> Chevrolet RSS
Next:  2004 Accent Oil Change  
Author Message
cover

External


Since: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 15



(Msg. 1) Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 am
Post subject: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch
Archived from groups: alt>autos>4x4>chevy-trucks, others (more info?)

I've got a '97 GMC Suburban that has some sort of issue with the
drivers inside door handle and it's ability to open the door (drivers
window must be rolled down and door opened with the exterior handle).
Autozone doesn't show instructions for a '97. Rather, if you choose a
'97 model, you get directions for a circa 1990 instead. Anyone know
of another good site that might show the step-by-step for getting that
door panel off so I can inspect the linkage without tearing up the
door panel?

Also have an issue with the brake switch on this rig. Brake lights
work but especially when it's hot outside, you can't get the vehicle
out of park once the engines running, the cruise control also doesn't
work and seems related, etc so I'm looking to replace the brake switch
also.

thanks for any help,
Chris

 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
bmuse1

External


Since: Jul 18, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 2) Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:49 am
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jul 31, 2:32 am, cover wrote:
> I've got a '97 GMC Suburban that has some sort of issue with the
> drivers inside door handle and it's ability to open the door (drivers
> window must be rolled down and door opened with the exterior handle).
> Autozone doesn't show instructions for a '97. Rather, if you choose a
> '97 model, you get directions for a circa 1990 instead. Anyone know
> of another good site that might show the step-by-step for getting that
> door panel off so I can inspect the linkage without tearing up the
> door panel?
>
> Also have an issue with the brake switch on this rig. Brake lights
> work but especially when it's hot outside, you can't get the vehicle
> out of park once the engines running, the cruise control also doesn't
> work and seems related, etc so I'm looking to replace the brake switch
> also.
>
> thanks for any help,
> Chris

Your door handle problem is the handle itself. It is broken. I had
to replace 2 on my 99. The assembly is about $30 available at the
dealer. You just start taking screws out of the handle area, and pop
the upholstery panels off the door. You will have to virtually take
the door apart to get to the place where you can replace the handle.
You might consider replacing the light bulbs in the power window and
door lock buttons while you are in there.
Bobby

 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
cselby

External


Since: Mar 28, 2004
Posts: 314



(Msg. 3) Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:56 pm
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

>
>Also have an issue with the brake switch on this rig. Brake lights
>work but especially when it's hot outside, you can't get the vehicle
>out of park once the engines running, the cruise control also doesn't
>work and seems related, etc so I'm looking to replace the brake switch
>also.
>
The brake switch has a vacuum portion that is used by the shifter.
It's a safety device that requires foot on brake before shift in gear.
It's the cheapest possible switch known but costs a few dollars more.
Look for the one on the brake arm stop that has vacuum lines going to
it.

Pete
 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
Comboverfish

External


Since: Jun 20, 2007
Posts: 35



(Msg. 4) Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 pm
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jul 31, 9:31 am, cse... RemoveThis @mts.net wrote:
> >Also have an issue with the brake switch on this rig. Brake lights
> >work but especially when it's hot outside, you can't get the vehicle
> >out of park once the engines running, the cruise control also doesn't
> >work and seems related, etc so I'm looking to replace the brake switch
> >also.
>
> The brake switch has a vacuum portion that is used by the shifter.
> It's a safety device that requires foot on brake before shift in gear.

In which 1997 Suburban?

> It's the cheapest possible switch known but costs a few dollars more.

So it costs a few dollars more than the cheapest possible switch?

> Look for the one on the brake arm stop that has vacuum lines going to
> it.

....in your non-1997 Suburban.

> Pete

How can we even be sure this name is correct?

Toyota MDT in MO
 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
cover

External


Since: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 15



(Msg. 5) Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:00 am
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:31:04 GMT, cselby DeleteThis @mts.net wrote:


>The brake switch has a vacuum portion that is used by the shifter.
>It's a safety device that requires foot on brake before shift in gear.
>It's the cheapest possible switch known but costs a few dollars more.
>Look for the one on the brake arm stop that has vacuum lines going to
>it.
>
>Pete

Is this brake switch located above the steering column? I have a
Haynes manual that shows a picture of the switch setting on a bench
and that's it. Took a look under the dash in the region I would have
expected the switch (having changed them on other vehicles in the past
albeit years ago), and nada... Didn't see anything that matched the
pic.
 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
cselby

External


Since: Mar 28, 2004
Posts: 314



(Msg. 6) Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:56 am
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

>
>Is this brake switch located above the steering column? I have a
>Haynes manual that shows a picture of the switch setting on a bench
>and that's it. Took a look under the dash in the region I would have
>expected the switch (having changed them on other vehicles in the past
>albeit years ago), and nada... Didn't see anything that matched the
>pic.
>
The switch is there. Look higher up the brake arm for the stop
bracket. I may have an older year in mind on this setup and the
switch may now be electric with a solenoid on the shifter.
 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
Old Crow

External


Since: Oct 20, 2007
Posts: 47



(Msg. 7) Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:28 am
Post subject: Re: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>autos>4x4>chevy-trucks (more info?)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:00:42 -0700, cover
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:31:04 GMT, cselby.DeleteThis@mts.net wrote:
>
>
>>The brake switch has a vacuum portion that is used by the shifter.
>>It's a safety device that requires foot on brake before shift in gear.
>>It's the cheapest possible switch known but costs a few dollars more.
>>Look for the one on the brake arm stop that has vacuum lines going to
>>it.
>>
>>Pete
>
>Is this brake switch located above the steering column? I have a
>Haynes manual that shows a picture of the switch setting on a bench
>and that's it. Took a look under the dash in the region I would have
>expected the switch (having changed them on other vehicles in the past
>albeit years ago), and nada... Didn't see anything that matched the
>pic.

Try looking on the rod that goes from the brake pedal through the
firewall to the brake booster.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"
'95 YJ Rio Grande
BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM


--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
 >> Stay informed about: 1997 GMC Suburban Door Panel & Brake Switch 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
How to Replace 99 Suburban Turn Signal Switch - I've got the classic "turn signal clicks for no reason" problem I've seen mentioned in several other posts in this group. A number of responses seem to indicate the fix to be replacing the turn signal switch assy. How exactly to you go about ...

Replacing Suburban Door Pins - Need to replace door pins and bushings on 1994 Suburban. Anyone have any tips. I need a special too to remove hinge spring? Where would I obtain? Thanks :?:

Brake Booster 1996 1500 Suburban - Guys, My brake pedal is now operating slowly (like in slow motion and I have to prepare to stop at least 300 ft in advance. I hear a hissing from under my floor area dash board below at the pedal. The pads are all fine and fluid topped off. 1. Do I..

03 Suburban Trailer Brake - I have an 03 Suburban 1500 which I recently purchased that has the towing package. Today I connected a trailer brake controller to the trailer 6-way slot on the instrument panel block and noticed I wasn't getting any power to the brake controller (no..

need help with 98 Chevy pickup brake switch - I have a 98 Chev extended cab pickup with an automatic transmission, this weekend it wouldn't shift from park. I disconnected what I think is the linkage that connects to the switch that keep one from shifting from park without the brake engaged and....
   car problems (Home) -> Chevrolet All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]